What You Need to Know About Dermal Fillers
Dermal fillers, or soft tissue fillers, are a widely-used injectable treatment that makes cosmetic improvements to the face for a more youthful appearance.
There are numerous dermal filler brands, and Optima Dermatology and Medical Aesthetics offers the most trusted product lines. Dermal fillers are effective in reversing the volume loss in the face that can come with age as well as contouring and defining features.
What Are Dermal Fillers?
The dermal fillers used by our medical aesthetic providers are made with hyaluronic acid, which is naturally produced by the body, making absorption into the skin easier and reducing the risk of an allergic reaction.
For some individuals, dermal fillers can be combined with a neurotoxin injection like Botox®, preventing or delaying the need for a surgical procedure like a facelift or plastic surgery. While dermal fillers in these cases are less permanent and produce subtler results, they can create a more youthful-looking appearance more quickly and easily.
- Dermal fillers are relatively painless and produce immediate results
- A dermal filler procedure is quick and easy to administer in a single office visit
- Patients typically experience minimal to no side effects or allergic reaction
- There is no downtime following a dermal filler procedure; however, some bruising and swelling is common, and it is recommended to avoid exercise for the first few days following your treatment
When Should I Consider Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers are effective at creating a more youthful appearance to the face by restoring volume to areas that have age-related collagen loss. Some common reasons to use dermal fillers include:
- To fill out or plump up lips, adding volume around the mouth
- Smoothing wrinkles and folds on the face
- Sculpting the jawline to create more definition around the face
- Adding volume to the cheeks, creating a subtle lift
- Reducing scarring from acne or other skin issues
Types of Dermal Fillers Offered at Optima Dermatology
There are many product lines of dermal fillers, and Optima Dermatology offers the most trusted options for our patients. We work closely with you to understand your unique situation and determine the best treatment for your needs.
The Restylane product line of dermal fillers uses FDA-approved hyaluronic acid (HA) as the primary ingredient. HA helps retain water, keeping skin plump-looking and hydrated, making it ideal for dermal fillers. Because HA is naturally occurring in the body, there is a low risk of side effects or allergic reactions from a Restylane dermal filler.
At Optima Dermatology, we offer different types of Restylane fillers, which are each formulated with a specific texture, density, and injection depth, ensuring every patient can get the perfect treatment for their specific needs.
- Restylane: The classic formula ideal for plumping lips, filling in wrinkles, and adding volume under the eyes.
- Restylane Kysse: Ideal for lip augmentation or smoothing out the lines around the lips, called the upper perioral rhytids. This treatment has been shown to last up to one year.
- Restylane Silk: The finest form of Restylane dermal fillers, this treatment is ideal for lip enhancement, smoothing fine lines around the mouth, and adding volume under the eyes. Silk has been shown to last up to six months when used to plump lips.
- Restylane Lyft: Previously called Perlane, Lyft is a more robust dermal filler option in the Restylane line that adds volume to larger areas of the skin like the cheeks or even the hands.
- Restylane Refyne: For areas of the face that see a lot of movement, such as around the mouth, Refyne is a more flexible dermal filler that can soften laugh lines or marionette lines from the corners of the mouth to the chin.
- Restylane Defyne: Like Refyne, Defyne is a flexible filler for areas of high movement, and is typically used for deeper or more severe wrinkles and folds around the mouth.
- Restylane Contour: Ideal for adding volume to the cheeks and contouring the face. Contour is FDA-approved and uses Restylane’s proprietary XpresHAn technology to promote more natural movement with treatment.
The Juvéderm® product line also uses hyaluronic acid to help address age-related loss of volume in the face.
At Optima Dermatology, we offer the following Juvéderm products, which each feature different bonding capabilities and concentrations of hyaluronic acid, ensuring you get a treatment that is ideal for your specific needs.
- JUVÉDERM® Ultra, Ultra Plus, Ultra XC, and Ultra Plus XC: Primarily used for enhancing the lips and mouth and restoring elasticity to the skin. Each product offers different concentrations of HA for the ideal degree of volume.
- JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA™ XC: Ideal for filling in the fine lines above the mouth without adding too much volume or plumpness. This product creates a very natural-looking result.
- JUVÉDERM® Voluma XC: Ideal for adding volume to the cheeks.
RHA, or Resilient Hyaluronic Acid, is a line of HA fillers that provide a natural-looking result whether the face is at rest or in motion. RHA fillers take advantage of hyaluronic acid (HA), which is a natural substance in the body that helps retain water for skin hydration. When used in a dermal filler, the skin appears plumper and healthier, filling in lines and wrinkles without a stiff or stretched look.
We offer the following RHA products at Optima Dermatology, each with varying degrees of RA “crosslinking” – put simply, the less crosslinking, the more similar the HA ingredient is to that which is naturally produced in the body. The firmness of each product increases as the number gets higher.
- RHA 2: A flexible dermal filler that can correct the appearance of moderate skin folds, such as lines around the cheeks and lips, or augment lip volume.
- RHA 3: A more firm dermal filler that can correct moderate to severe skin folds, such as around the corners of the mouth, or smile lines.
- RHA 4: The firmest RHA dermal filler, designed to be injected deep into the skin and even into the superficial subcutaneous tissue. RHA 4 is ideal for correcting deep wrinkles and severe folds such as smile lines, marionette lines, or shaping of the chin and jaw.
Dermal fillers are a safe, effective, and popular way to reduce the signs of aging on the face.
At Optima Dermatology, we work closely with every patient to ensure we deliver the best treatment for your needs. We will assess your unique situation and identify the dermal filler product that makes sense for you.